IT Systems Engineer
Date Posted: 04/18/2014
Gibbs & Cox, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading independent naval architecture, marine engineering and design firms. We are seeking a well-qualified IT Systems Engineer, based in Arlington, VA. This position will be responsible for support in the operation and maintenance of computer systems, servers, workstations, networking and applications in a small company environment. This role will include participation and collaboration with IT staff in the daily upkeep, administration and company staff support of the company’s IT infrastructure across multiple office locations. This position requires an ongoing and daily customer service oriented mentality and includes support and oversight on additions, changes, corrections, and physical installation of new or moves of existing PCs, laptops, servers, routers, switches, printers, networking equipment and telephone systems in a geographically dispersed company environment.
- Daily support to company staff for computer systems, application and system software installations, local network support such as printers, routers, copiers, network connected multi-media, and phone systems
- Responsible for the installation, configuration, documentation, and maintenance of assigned server systems
- Maintain file systems, storage volumes, disks and coordination of volume space planning and management
- Maintain growth statistics, resource capacity forecasts, backups, software inventories, and hardware inventories
- Provide technical support on all systems-related issues and troubleshoots complex systems problems
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 5 + Years of experience in a computer-related field
- Active Directory 2008/2012 design, maintenance, and troubleshooting experience
- Sharepoint 2010/2013 administration and troubleshooting experience
- Experience with MSSQL 2008/2012 database and replication design with respect to scale, performance, and availability
- Strong working knowledge of Windows 7 and 8 and Office 2010
- Perform scripting for task automation and provide documentation for any such scripts
- Support and maintain continuity with system software licensing and maintenance agreements
- Professional IT Certifications Preferred such as: Network+, Microsoft MCITP, MCSA, or MCSE; Cisco CCNA or CCDA, or VMware VCP.
- Ability to configure wireless, Ethernet, IP Routing and multicast routing
- Acts as a general information source to others regarding use of personal computers, software applications and network access
- Working knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMware
- Good understanding of security technologies (firewalls, VPN, anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-spam).
- Able to maximizes network performance by monitoring and scheduling upgrades
- Team player with good written, verbal and organizational skills and the ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Able to participate in computer systems installations under desks, lift office PCs, help route cabling, and able to periodically travel to office locations up to 4 hours away
Please apply to this opportunity by submitting your resume and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the Position Title in the Subject Line.
Gibbs & Cox is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factors.