Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Tampa, FL
Job Type: Full-time
Min Education: BA/BS Undergraduate
Min Experience: 8-10 years
Required Travel: TBD
Date Posted: 05/12/2015
LGS Innovations, delivering next generation solutions that solve the most complex sensing, networking and communications challenges facing our U.S. Federal Government Customers, is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Florham Park, NJ, Denver, CO, Herndon, VA, and Tampa, FL locations.
LGS Innovations is a U.S.-owned company headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, with offices nationwide
We provide our employees with competitive compensation packages and a full range of benefits, including vacation, medical, dental, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, tuition assistance, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
LGS Applied Research & Technology – Advanced Multimedia Networking and Communications (AMNC) is seeking candidates for its research and technology Labs in Florham Park, New Jersey. In addition to Florham Park, New Jersey, we have rapidly growing R&D organizations in these locations: Tampa (Florida), Herndon (Virginia) and Denver (Colorado).
We are seeking the ‘best and brightest’ with a passion to solve tough challenges through innovation and the application of science and technology to catalyze impactful solutions for our customers.
The AMNC lab performs advanced R&D to:
- Create novel wireless communications and situational awareness systems using standards based and custom communications protocols.
- Create unique small size, weight and power systems for use in air, land and maritime environments
- Employ advanced signal and protocol processing, channel modeling and waveform design from HF to W band and optical frequencies as well.
Join a fast-moving, high-performing multidisciplinary team with a record of success and opportunity for advancement.
In this position you will design complex optical and wireless subsystems for high reliability military applications for both harsh and benign environments with limited direction.
- Design and analyze mechanical and optical components and systems for diverse range of applications.
- Collaborate with teams for all phases of product development to include concept, requirements, design, qualifications, manufacture, and deployment while meeting technical, cost, and schedule objectives.
- Manage and collaborate with 3rd party vendors on specification, performance, and reliability issues.
- Perform thermal modeling and produce hardware and module designs that are environmentally hardened.
- Collaborate with designers to jointly optimize circuit card layout.
- Use CAD tools to analyze strength and thermal characteristics and create 3D prototypes.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to customers, including technical analysis, design review, and progress reports
- Support development of new business be devising, evaluating, and describing new concepts in the form of presentations, white papers, and proposals.
- May lead a team of other designers and engineering professionals
- May directly supervise lab technicians
- Travel to other LGS Locations or Customer Sites as necessary
- Understand and adhere to all LGS Ethical and Compliance policies
- Proactively ensure a safe work environment and adhere to LGS EH&S policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as required
Skills and Knowledge:
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Clearance Required: TS/SCI w/poly (US citizenship is a prerequisite)
- Knowledge of Microsoft software applications and other software applications as required
- Proficient use of computer-aided design software, with SolidWorks strongly preferred. Experience with Inventor is also desired.
- Experience in modeling, analysis, design, prototyping and measurement of active and passive thermal management approaches.
- Experience in electronic, photonic and electronic component/packaging design including matched TCE designs, RF EMI/EMC mitigation, and digital./analog separation.
- Experience in electronic and optoelectronic subassembly layout including board physical design, chassis or enclosure design, fiber routing, and electrical and optical connector selection.
- Familiar with strength of material parameters, material density and material selection considerations including lightweight composites, electromagnectic material characteristics, heat transfer, outgassing, etc.
- Working knowledge of finite element modeling and reliability modeling
- Environmental testing to MIL-STD or equivalent industrial test levels, including shock/vibe, thermal, EMI/EMC, acoustic.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- BA in Mechanical Engineering (Master’s preferred) and 8-10 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education, skills, and experience.
Additional Desired Skills:
- Familiarity and design experience with photonic and optoelectronic systems.
- Knowledge of control systems, active control of mechanical structures, gimbal technology, design, control and implementation.
- Working knowledge of aircraft resident systems, including control surfaces, aerodynamics and integration of payloads into airborne systems
- Working knowledge of aerodynamics, fluid dynamics for air or underwater vehicles
- Capabilities in software programming, MATLAB and Took Kits, Automated Test Equipment Scripting
Apply online at http://www.lgsinnovations.com/careers