Name: OSG Ship Management, Inc
Application URL: http://www.osg.com/careers/current-openings/project-engineer.aspx
Location: Tampa, FL
Job Type: Full-time
Min Education: BA/BS Undergraduate
Min Experience: 1-2 years
Required Travel: 0-10%
Date Posted: 07/28/2015
Purpose of the Position: Support the maintenance, modification and repair of vessels and systems to meet the requirements of the company, customers, industry standards and regulatory requirements.
- Provide day-to-day marine engineering and/or naval architecture fleet support, perform analyses and make recommendations in support of vessel operations and troubleshoot problems as required to institute short term and long-term solutions.
- Lead or participate in projects that are related to vessel modifications to support new trades, regulations, increased safety or other new requirements. Project assignments may include (but not necessarily be limited to): development of vessel modification concepts for stakeholder review and approval, following through on approved concepts to detail design and regulatory body approval, general design development and review, new equipment evaluation, assessment of new regulations and associated planning for fleet wide implementation, new technology knowledge base development, new construction and similar projects (including pre-planning, design review, estimation, scheduling, supervision and delivery activities), emergency technical support, and as-needed support to other OSG departments.
- Develop CAD drawings and/or written technical specifications or summaries which effectively describe vessel modifications that can be easily understood and/or implemented by vessel superintendents, shipyards, regulatory bodies and other project stakeholders.
- Coordinate external consultants/engineers, vendors, regulatory bodies and other outside resources in a project.
- Conduct periodic vessel ship checks to plan for vessel modifications and to ensure that work has been performed according to the drawings.
- Maintain the vessel drawing archive consisting of electronic files for all vessels across the fleet, ensuring all new updates to vessel’s drawings are captured and filed accordingly.
- Provide regular progress updates to supervisor, project sponsors and clients.
- For each allocated project maintain a close knowledge of the project performance in terms of output, time and budget and to keep advised/updated verbally and in writing the project manager
- Ensure that the project is executed efficiently and in accordance with class / statutory and other requirements as well as in compliance with company's guidelines
- Keep records and analytical data to ensure that sufficient information is maintained to provide guidance for lessons learned assessments and for future projects.
- Provide technically sound services and studies as requested by the technical and marine managers and OSG management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. An equivalent engineering degree may be considered with additional minimum experience in the marine field. Experience with standard project management principles is preferred.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the marine industry with practical experience in areas such as technical vessel management or shipyard engineering support. Experience in large multi-regional and multi-national projects and the technical and operational aspects of oil & chemical tankers is preferred.
- Must be able to visualize solutions, whether self-developed or described by others, and effectively describe the solution in a written technical specification and/or an engineering CAD drawing.
- Working knowledge in typical naval architecture and marine engineering subjects such as structures, stability, machinery, piping systems, electrical distribution systems and typical deck outfitting is expected.
- Knowledge and understanding of Class Society, International and Flag State regulations, requirements and standards relating to company vessels required
- Expertise with Microsoft Office products (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.), and AutoCad.
- Preferred to have a working knowledge of ABS Nautical Systems.
- Effectively communicates in English with internal and external resources, both orally and in written form.
- Strong leadership abilities
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization in a clear and concise manner
- Highly developed organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Sound judgment, with decisive, consistent and fair decision making
- Independent, highly motivated self-starter
- Ability to set goals and plans to fulfill corporate objectives
- Ability to adapt well to changing priorities and situations without a loss of effectiveness
- Ability to board vessels in port (requires using a gangway with a grade of 30-60 degrees)
- Ability to climb ladders and navigate over uneven surfaces during vessel visits
- Ability to board vessels at anchor (climb a Jacob’s ladder from a water taxi)
- Possess good sensory perception (sight, smell, hearing, touch)
- Ability to enter and inspect confined spaces
- Willingness to remain accessible for communication and consultation on an around the clock basis and work unusual hours, including nights and weekends as required
Apply online at http://www.osg.com/careers/current-openings/project-engineer.aspx