Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Full-time
Min Education: BA/BS Undergraduate
Min Experience: 5 years
Required Travel: TBD
Date Posted: 07/28/2015
The Naval Architect will work in Bechtel Oil, Gas & Chemicals, Inc.’s (OG&C’s) Offshore Business Line. The successful candidate should have education in naval architecture or ocean engineering, with experience in majority of the following areas – vessel sizing, stability analysis, hull scantling design, hydrodynamics, and mooring system of floating vessels. In addition understanding of the topsides facilities engineering requirements will be beneficial.
When on a project or an initiative, the candidate will serve as an engineering team member for one of the disciplines (based on the candidate’s background) – hull sizing and configuration, hydrodynamics, mooring, or weight management. With Bechtel Offshore’s focus on Floating LNG (FLNG), past experience in such projects will be a plus. When not on a project the candidate will work on development FEED and concept studies, participate in enhancing Bechtel Offshore’s floating system delivery capability, for example developing engineering design guides and specifications, and participate in other in-house technology development.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead one or more of the following disciplines – Hull design, hydrostatic analysis, pre-service analysis, mooring design and analysis, hydrodynamic analysis, and weight management through concept development, pre-FEED, FEED and EPC delivery phases
- Support development of list of document deliverables (reports, drawings, P&IDs, etc.), deliverables schedule, and manhour estimates
- Take responsibility for delivery of assigned documents within set manhour budget and schedule
- Take responsibility for the technical content and quality of the assigned work, and the functional integration of individual project tasks
- Participate in technical interface engineering with all disciplines and parties, both internal and external
- Interact with regulatory authorities to ensure compliance with codes, standards and regulations
- Interact with clients, vendors and contractors
- Follow corporate safety and quality protocols
- Prepare and make presentations to clients and external parties
- Help prepare specifications, vendor bid packages and evaluate technical bids
- Help to obtain class approval
- This position may require some travel and short-term relocation to project sites as the need arises.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Understanding of the design and engineering aspects of hulls and mooring systems. Understanding of topsides design needs, preferably for FLNGs and complex floating production systems
- Understanding of interdisciplinary design processes
- Understanding of technical risk and process safety requirements
- Knowledge of general design requirements and applicable industry codes for floating systems (PIANC, SIGTTO, OCIMF, ABS, API, BV, DNV-GL, NORSOK, etc.)
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload for self and others
- computer and math skills, and communication skills are critical
- Experience in writing technical proposals and reports
- Past experience in a similar role will be an asset
- Bachelor’s degree in naval architecture or ocean engineering from an accredited university, advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in floating structure design and engineering, e.g. FPSO, FLNG, Spar, Semis
- Ship and floating system construction experience, and understanding of construction practices, will be an asset
- Field experience in shipyards or offshore will be an asset.
- Proficient in oral and written communications
- Experience with major engineering software packages (such as MOSES, SESAM/GeniE, GHS, WADAM/WAMIT, ACAD, OrcaFlex, etc.)
- Familiarity with the latest technology trends in deep water development
- Fluency in English
- Presentation skills
- US State P.E. License (or E.I.T. status that can lead up to the P.E. status within a set time period) is preferred.
BOPS Guidelines include the minimum time that you need to be in your current position before applying to a new position. Please refer to the Guidelines and ensure you meet the minimum requirements.
Apply online at https://jobs.bechtel.com