Senior Naval Architect
Location: Seattle, Washington, 98101, United States
Job Type: Full Time
Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
Min Experience: Washington P.E. or similar registration (or additional experience) is required.
Required Travel: 0 - 10%
Date Posted: 07/16/2014
Job Purpose/Summary: Responsible for a wide range of naval architecture and marine engineering skills in a challenging variety of projects for the Harbor Marine Group consulting division of Foss Maritime Company. This position is suitable for candidates with at least 8 years of applicable marine and engineering experience in the analysis, planning, design, development, and support of engineering projects and with at least 2 years in a leadership position.
- Provides engineering and design services under the direction and supervision of the director and project managers. Leads project teams including staff engineers and subcontractors.
- Engineering work is focused primarily in naval architecture and marine engineering, including vessel design, structural design and analysis, stability analysis, vessel modification and refurbishment plans and specifications, regulatory analysis and other naval architecture and engineering services.
- Supports engineering services for international and domestic marine transportation projects including heavy sealift as well as concept, feasibility and design services for new vessels and services in existing and developing markets for Foss Maritime and outside clients.
- Provides naval architecture and marine engineering support for civil engineering and construction clients for design and construction of inland, waterfront and marine infrastructure projects.
- Supports Foss Maritime Company and other operating companies under Marine Resources Group in development of vessel construction and modification projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong engineering background, skill, knowledge and experience with work supervised under the director and senior engineers for design and engineering products.
- Excellent communication skills with clients, internal divisions of Foss Maritime Company and other staff.
- General knowledge of a wide range of commercial vessels.
- Ability to support development of vessel arrangements and to perform feasibility and concept level design of marine vessels as well as detail design of specific portions of vessels or modifications.
- Ability to support development of contract plans, specifications, and estimates for commercial and Foss projects.
- Ability to support development of structural design and engineering calculations for vessel construction and modification.
- Ability to perform trim and stability calculations and create reports for marine vessels and floating equipment using GHS or other software.
- Ability to generate vessel design and modification drawings using AutoCAD or other software to support design, modifications, design studies, and contract drawings.
- General understanding of U.S. Coast Guard and marine classification society rules and regulatory requirements.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
Minimum Qualifications: This position generally requires a Bachelor Degree in a suitable field and at least 8 years of applicable marine and engineering experience (or at least 15 years of experience with an Associate’s Degree) and with at least 2 years in a leadership position (or additional experience). A Washington EIT or similar registration is required. A Washington P.E. or similar registration (or additional experience) is required.
Working Conditions: Work is performed primarily in an office environment with frequent visits to client facilities, shipyards, and vessels. Must be able to access all areas of a shipyard and company property including administration building, shipyard and shipyard offices, drydocks, and terminals in all types of weather. Use shipyard safety equipment, such as hard hat and safety glasses is required. Some extended travel is possible for off-site consulting, owners representation and construction support. Occasional overnight travel, overtime and on-call status is required. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Place - Participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to – firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (206) 270-4899. Resume should include a cover letter and salary requirements.