Senior Naval Architect
Location: Houston, TX 77079 US
Job Type: Full Time
Min Education: BS Naval Architecture
Min Experience: 10 years
Required Travel: Up to 25%
Date Posted: 07/17/2014
The Naval Architect will be responsible for projects and tasks in support of McDermott's offshore oil and gas production platform design, fabrication and installation engineering efforts. This position will be responsible for the naval architecture analyses and design, along with technical support with respect to all phases and aspects of fixed and floating offshore oil and gas production platforms.
- Provides discipline expertise in Naval Architecture as it relates to offshore production platforms.
- Prepares proposal, scopes of work, establishes budgets and schedules.
- Performs hydrodynamic analyses and hull design for floating production systems.
- Designs floating production system moorings.
- Designs tiedowns for transportation.
- Assists with development and revision of Marine Operating Manuals and Load & Stability analyses.
- Develops procedures and conducts model tests.
- Develops procedures, coordinate and attend dead weight surveys and incline tests.
- Provides mentoring and technical advice to other engineers in the department.
- Directs drafters for drawing issuance.
- Represents company in industry.
- Directs, trains and develops others.
- Minimum BS degree from an accredited college or university in Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering or Marine Engineering.
- Advanced degrees, MS/PhD are preferred.
- PE registration.
• Minimum of ten years working experience as a Naval Architect directly in offshore industry.
• Increasing experience in all phases of design, fabrication and installation of offshore production platforms.
• Expertise in typical industry accepted hydrostatic, hydrodynamic, vessel motion, structural analysis software.
• Expertise in design standards & specifications, classification society rules, and offshore regulations.
• Experience in leading and supervising others.
• Advanced technical knowledge and engineering skills.
• Demonstrated effective leadership and influencing skills and practices.
• Ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical problems.
• Ability to gather and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process.
• Ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports.
• Knowledge of financial accounting, purchasing and management systems.
• Working knowledge of CAD, vessel stability software, document control systems and databases.
• Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment.
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
• Available and willingness to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Committed to a high standard of safety and will and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules.
• Effective communication, team working and organizational skills. Good interpersonal skills.Excellent verbal and written communications and presentations skills.
• Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
• PC proficiency required. Working knowledge of current Microsoft Office software suite version.
Submit resume to