Vice President & General Manager - Victoria Shipyards
Name: Seaspan Victoria Shipyards
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Job Type: Full Time
Min Education: Masters
Min Experience: 10-15 years experience in a management capacity within a shipyard environment
Required Travel: NA
Date Posted: 07/25/2014
Seaspan’s shipyard facilities are strategically located on the Pacific NW shipping lanes in Vancouver and Victoria, BC.
Victoria Shipyards is currently in the midst of two major programs for the Royal Canadian Navy – A multi-million dollar FELEX program which will see the modernization of 12 Canadian Patrol Frigates, and the VISSC program, which consists of the overhaul and revitalization of four 2400 ton diesel electric submarines. Seaspan's Vancouver Shipyards has recently won a multi-billion dollar Federal shipbuilding program that will create stable work for well over a decade, and see the construction of up to 17 ships for the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and Canadian Coast Guard (CCG).
To support these projects, Seaspan is currently undergoing a $200 Million Shipyard Modernization Program which will further solidify our standing as a world-class shipbuilding and ship repair centre of excellence on the West Coast of Canada.
Your Future Career Opportunity
As the Vice President and General Manager of Victoria Shipyards, you will be accountable for providing leadership and strategic direction to the Shipyard to ensure profitable, productive and safe operations. Your role will be varied and challenging as you foster positive, long-term relationships with all employees, suppliers, regulatory bodies and customers with integrity, as well as engage in business development activities to ensure profitability and growth. You will ensure that overall financial goals are achieved through working closely with the Seaspan’s senior leadership team to discuss issues, obtain guidance and report operational performance.
You will have a strong customer service background that will allow you to establish positive, creative, and mutually beneficial relationships with customers and suppliers by engaging in timely and project specific communication, addressing customer concerns, resolving issues, as well as earning and maintaining customer and stakeholder loyalty. Your leadership skills, paired with your technical background, will allow you to provide guidance to Directors and Project Managers by discussing and analyzing conflicts or problems arising on vessel repair or modification projects. Your strategic mindset will allow you to manage contractual workload, develop strategies and tactics and setting financial goals whilst ensuring divisional alignment with corporate long terms goals.
Seaspan can provide you with a rewarding and challenging career building state-of-the-art ships, and an attractive remuneration package with pension contributions, medical and dental benefits and a fitness membership for all permanent employees. A relocation package and work permit sponsorship (if required) will be offered to candidates to ensure a smooth transition to Victoria.Job Requirements
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Marine Engineering and or Naval Architecture, or other related discipline.
- A minimum of 10-15 years experience in a management capacity within a shipyard environment.
- Demonstrating a high standard of business conduct and ethics; dealing with all situations and issues with integrity and honesty.
- Excellent knowledge of applicable rules and regulations in the marine field with specific emphasis in new construction and repair.
- Excellent knowledge of relevant Seaspan policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of technical equipment, in a marine environment
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, verbal and written
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative, active listening skills, and is action/result-oriented
- Ability to collaborate with a large number of people with different schedules and priorities to achieve set goals and objectives
- Flexibility, diplomacy, creativity, commitment and determination.
- Proactive and a strong sense of customer service orientation
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, decision making, negotiating, leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
Apply at the URL: http://bc.tbe.taleo.net/BC11/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SEASPANCORP&cws=1&rid=466